Do you love UMBC? Are you looking for a way to give back to the UMBC community? Are you looking to be a part of a fun, close-knit team? Are you looking for a summer internship?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, the OPA position could be a good fit for you!
OPA’s work with all of UMBC’s incoming students – that’s over 3,000 incoming freshmen and transfer students – and their families to serve as a resource for their transition to UMBC. As an OPA, you would be a part of all of UMBC’s summer Orientation and Dawg Days excursions programs. Orientation is a day-long event designed to provide new students with the opportunity to meet other new Retrievers, meet an Advisor to register for classes, and meet faculty and staff to learn more about everything UMBC has to offer. Dawg Days allow students an additional opportunity to get connected to their peers before their first year begins! Every Dawg Days program engages students in a variety of fun and dynamic activities and allows participants to meet other incoming students.
OPA Commitment & Compensation:
- Spring 2019 Commitment:
- Mandatory Training Dates: Fridays, March 29, April 5, April 12, April 19, April 26, and May 3, from 3:00-5:30 PM.
- Summer 2019 Commitment:
- Mandatory Summer Training: Thursday, May 30 to Friday, June 7 from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- OPAs must work ALL summer orientation sessions & Dawg Days excursions that run from June 10 to July 27, and August 16, 19, 23, and 26 (may not be taking summer classes)
- These dates include the Dawg Days excursion programs on June 29, July 8-9, July 20, and July 27; and Admissions Summer Preview Day on August 16, 2019
- Fall/Winter 2019 Commitment:
- Option to work Winter Orientation sessions in December 2019 and January 2020 (will be paid additionally at hourly rate)
- Compensation & Incentives:
- OPAs will be paid $1,400 in installments
- On-campus housing provided during all Orientation programs & trainings (~May 29-July 28; may change)
- Breakfast and lunch provided during all Orientation programs & trainings
- OPAs will also receive $150 in Campus Cash to be used for additional meals during the summer
- Service-Learning Leadership notation on transcript for Summer 2019 (PRAC096)
- Orientation apparel and gear
OPA Application Process:
- The 2019 OPA Application is now closed. If you have questions about the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications are due by Sunday, January 20, 2019, at 11:59 PM
- After the application review, select applicants will be invited to participate in an Individual Interview
- Individual Interviews will take place on either February 6, 7, or 8, 2019
- After the Individual Interviews, select applicants will be invited to participate in a Group Interview
- The Group Interview will take place Wednesday, February 13, 2019
- Decision emails will be sent out in early March.
- All candidates must respond to their offer by March 14 (before Spring Break)
OPA Selection Criteria:
- Must be a current undergraduate student who will have completed at least one semester at UMBC.
- We love to have a mix of freshmen AND transfer students on our team!
- Must be returning to UMBC for the Fall 2019 semester (i.e. cannot be graduating in May 2019)
- Must be in good judicial and academic standing (at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA)
- We are looking for a diverse group of students who possess the following:
- A desire and the ability to work with a diverse group of students, families, faculty, and staff
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Leadership potential and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and comfortable with ambiguity
OPA Information Sessions:
Looking for more information? Attend an OPA information session for more information!
- Monday, December 3, 6:00 pm – 6:45 pm, Commons 331
- Wednesday, December 5, 12:00 pm – 12:45 pm, Commons 331
- Thursday, December 6, 9:00 am – 9:45 am, Commons 329
- Thursday, December 6, 4:00 pm – 4:45 pm, Commons 329
Contact email@example.com for more information!