Do you love UMBC? Are you looking for a way to give back to the UMBC community? Are you looking to be a part of a fun, close-knit team? Are you looking for a summer internship?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, the OPA position could be a good fit for you!
OPAs work with all of UMBC’s incoming students – that’s over 3,000 incoming freshmen and transfer students – and their families to serve as a resource for their transition to UMBC. As an OPA, you would be a part of all of UMBC’s Orientation programming which is designed to provide new students with the opportunity to meet other new Retrievers, meet an Advisor to register for classes, and meet faculty and staff to learn more about everything UMBC has to offer. Dawg Days allow students an additional opportunity to get connected to their peers before their first year begins! Every Dawg Days program engages students in a variety of fun and dynamic activities and allows participants to meet other incoming students.
OPA Commitment & Compensation:
- Spring 2022 Commitment:
- Mandatory Training: One 50 minute training “class” a week starting the week of February 3rd, 2022
- Summer 2022 Commitment:
- Mandatory Summer Training: Thursday, May 27 to Friday, June 3 from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- OPAs must work ALL summer orientation sessions & Dawg Days excursions that run from June 8 to July 25, and August 17, 21, and 24 (may not be taking summer classes without express consideration from the Orientation Team)
- Fall/Winter 2022 Commitment:
- Option to work Winter Orientation sessions in December 2022 and January 2023 (will be paid additionally at hourly rate)
- Compensation & Incentives:
- OPAs will be paid $1,500 in installments
- On-campus housing provided during all Orientation programs & trainings (May 27-July 24)
- Breakfast and lunch provided during all Orientation programs & trainings
- OPAs will also receive $200 in Campus Cash to be used for additional meals during the summer
- Service-Learning Leadership notation on transcript for Summer 2022 (PRAC096)
- Orientation apparel and gear
OPA Application Process:
- The 2022 OPA Application is open! Apply here!
- If you have questions about the application process, please email email@example.com.
- After the application review, select applicants will be invited to participate in an Individual Interview.
- After the Individual Interviews, select applicants will be invited to participate in a Group Interview.
OPA Selection Criteria:
- Must be a current undergraduate student who will have completed at least one semester at UMBC.
- Must be returning to UMBC for the Fall 2022 semester (i.e. cannot be graduating in May 2022)
- Must be in good judicial and academic standing
- Preferential selection given to students who possess the following:
- The desire and ability to work with a diverse group of students, families, faculty, and staff
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Leadership potential and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!