Do you love UMBC? Are you looking for a way to give back to the UMBC community? Are you looking to be a part of a fun, close-knit team? Are you looking for a paid leadership opportunity?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, the Orientation Peer Ambassador (OPA) position could be a good fit for you!
OPAs work with all of UMBC’s incoming students – that’s over 3,000 incoming first year and transfer students – and their families to serve as a resource for their transition to UMBC. OPAs are a part of all of UMBC’s Orientation programming which is designed to provide new students with the opportunity to meet other new Retrievers, meet an Advisor to register for classes, and meet faculty and staff to learn more about everything UMBC has to offer. OPAs conduct small group ice-breakers and lead their peers through interactive activities, and programs while orienting them to UMBCs vibrant campus life.
OPA Commitment & Compensation:
- Spring 2024 Commitment:
- Mandatory Training: One 50 minute training “class” a week starting the week after Spring Break.
- Summer 2024 Commitment:
- Mandatory Summer Training: Wednesday, May 29th to Thursday, June 6th from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM.
- OPAs must work ALL summer orientation sessions that run from June 10th to July 30th, and August 21st, 23rd and 26th (may not be taking summer classes without express consideration from the Orientation Team).
- Fall/Winter 2024-2025 Commitment:
- Willingness to work Winter Orientation sessions in December 2024 and January 2025 (will be paid additionally at hourly rate).
- Compensation & Incentives:
- OPAs will be paid $1,800 in installments
- On-campus housing during summer Orientation programs & trainings from late May – early August
- Lunch provided during Orientation programs & trainings
- OPAs will also receive $200 in Retriever Dollars to be used for additional meals during the summer
- Service-Learning Leadership notation on transcript for Summer 2024 (PRAC096)
- Orientation apparel
OPA Application Process:
- The 2024 OPA Application is open! Apply here or at the top of the page.
- If you have questions about the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the application review, select applicants will be invited to participate in an Individual Interview.
- After the Individual Interviews, select applicants will be invited to participate in a Group Interview.
OPA Selection Criteria:
- Must be a current undergraduate student who will have completed at least one semester at UMBC.
- Must be returning to UMBC for the Fall 2024 semester (i.e. cannot be graduating in May 2024)
- Must be in good judicial and academic standing (at least 2.75 cumulative GPA)
- Preferential selection given to students who possess the following:
- The desire and ability to work with a diverse group of students, families, faculty, and staff
- Strong communication and public speaking skills
- Leadership potential and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility and comfort with ambiguity
- The ability to handle a high intensity environment and create a positive environment for their peers
Contact email@example.com for more information!